Thursday, October 26, 2006

Staying home with a sick child

I know that some kids like to be sick -- or at least that's what you hear. My kids don't. Maybe they don't ever just get sniffles where it would be fun to be home. When they are sick, it's usually super sick. At 4am yesterday, Gage came in to tell me that he was going to the bathroom. (Well, I guess it's nice to know, eh?) I got up to give him company and tuck him in. When I kissed his forehead, I knew. Hot! Damn!

So, I spent the next two hours trying to figure out how I could be in two places at once before coming to the inevitable conclusion that I couldn't be in two places at once and giving in to call school and tell them that I couldn't make it that day.

He spent the entire day hot, headachey, grumpy. He had a chairbed with his choice of TV and I tried to tempt his appetite with nummy treats. Nothing worked. He wasn't hungry. He was grumpy. He was not happy. And, all he wanted to do was go to the doctor because he knows that when he has an ear infection, he feels better fast after the antibiotics kicked in. He doesn't have an ear infection. He has some sort of virus -- probably the same one that I am still getting over from earlier in the week when I thought that perhaps my head would explode from the pressure in it and, frankly, couldn't see how that was a bad thing. So, I knew why he was so grumpy. Didn't help though in dealing with the fact that he really thought I was being mean not to take him to the doctor.

Thankfully, he got some relief from the fever in the late evening, ate a bowl of cheerios, and had a good night's sleep. Phew! He'll be home with Daddy who finally got released from jury duty after being selected as the 4th alternate yesterday. You'd think being friends with one of the county judges would get you booted by a defense attorney sooner. Maybe they like to see people sweat some! :) Greg was pretty nervous -- 4 week murder trial 9:30 - 4 everyday. It would have trashed our lives! I'm all for civic responsibility but it's hard when it messes with ones livelihood.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to mooving forward today on work, lessons, and my own schoolwork. Life is insane and I can't way for my own schooling to be done . . . December 9, here I come!

No comments: