Saturday, November 11, 2006

Maple Tree Haibun



Fall is my favorite time of year -- cool crisp days filled with sunshine and just enough rain to make us appreciate the sun while it lasts. Living here, though, we don't get enough fall color. So, when my maple tree dresses for Autumn, I feel so grateful. Sometimes I catch my breath when I look at it.

glowing from within
dressed in autumnal colors
japanese maple

Fall is my favorite time of year -- cool crisp days filled with fall colors that make the trees catch fire and glow.



Submitted to One Deep Breath. This type of poem is called a Haibun. It's a combination of poetic prose and haiku. This is my first haibun. Thanks to Somewhere in NJ for introducing me to this site.

5 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

Nice!

The hardest part for me was writing the "prose" part - the haiku was easy. Did you find that also? Curious too about which you wrote first?

Love the line about the maple dressing for Autumn.

Unknown said...

Yes, the prose was the hardest, I think. I wrote the prose, then the haiku, and then edited both and added the final prose. And, I've edited the haiku since you read it. I'm a fiddler! :)

LauraHinNJ said...

I see you did change it!

Have you visited any of the other people doing this? Fun to read them all.

Crafty Green Poet said...

This is lovely. I love autumn colour too and you've really captured it here. Very impressive haibun, especially considering it's your first attempt.

Unknown said...

Thank you. I'm happier with the haiku portion now that I've crafted it a little bit. I enjoyed working that way -- prose and poetry. I like the way they worked together and I really liked the challenge that I added for myself of taking a photo to use as inspiration.