Monday, July 17, 2006

Sitting on the deck

The only thing that would have made it better would be a glass of wine in my hand (How Freudian -- I started to spell it whine! :). We sat out on the half-stained deck and checked it out. We made some decisions about the landscaping and plans for plants we'll put in. All very exciting and satisfying. While we were sitting there, we watched a Steller's Jay try to figure out how to get to my suet feeder. He used to jump from the deck rail but it's gone now. I caught him clinging to the side of the suet feeder today doing a chickadee impersonation. Pretty funny. Anyway, we were sitting and talking and started hearing ravens calling to each other. Pretty soon, the distant ones are getting closer and the one across the creek from us is getting excited. Before you know it, we've got four ravens flying around the house doing aerial formation flying over the creek, over the roof, down and then way up into the redwoods. Utterly beautiful. All with their brawk calls going the whole time. I love Common Ravens -- and I find nothing common about them!

It was ridiculously hot today. The house is still crazy hot. Blech. My office seems to be the worst room in the house for cooling. There's a surprise.

(Oops, there's that whine again!)

I am absolutely obsessed about the job at BCE. I started working on a web page design today. AHHHHHHHHHH! I think I've utterly lost it -- I don't know whether to keep working on it (despite all the REAL work I have to do) or worry that I've now officially jinxed my chances of getting this job. Sigh. Instead, I think I'll do some work on the landscape and go to bed. It's late, I'm tired.

Rosie is barking but I'm afraid to go check it out. It might be baby skunks. That would NOT be a good thing. Ahhhh, rural life.

No comments: